Problem Gambling Services - Maori
Te Piringa Tupono
Te Piringa Tupono is a pathway to wellness, pursue the new pathway and you will find wellness.
Our aim is “empowering positive change within whanau and community”.
Eligibility and assessment
The following services are available for men and women aged 17 years and over:
- Whose lifestyle has been disrupted as a result of their own or someone else’s gambling
- Live in the Auckland region area
We will ask you to attend an assessment to ensure the best service is provided and offer one or more of the following free and confidential services:
- One to one or couple/whanau counselling
- Community group programmes
- Follow up support
We also provide support in the following areas:
- Cultural support
- Self-care, housing, budgeting
- Education, employment
- Dealing with both government and non government agencies e.g. IRD, Police, HNZ, WINZ
What can we do for you?
- We will start by listening and talking to you
- We can visit you in your home, or wherever you may feel most comfortable
- We will access information, support groups or courses to meet your specific needs
- With our support and guidance, you decide what changes you would like to make
- Together we will work on small achievable goals
- We encourage feedback so that we can continually improve our service delivery
Te Toi O Matariki is the model used which is known as an "awakening" model. The model works on the concept that, in order to realise your need for change, one must understand who they are as individuals, then as Maori, then their cultural value base. Ownership of the way we behave is realigned with the traditional Maori philosophy of wellness.
Role modelling is an important factor. All programs that are delivered are placed into modules.
What to do next?
If you or someone else you know may benefit from our services, please contact us.
Phone (09) 263-8040
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8.30am - 5.00pm